hey there, freelancer
You’ve got visions of full-time freelancer in your head… but could use a swipeable strategy that lets you focus on what matters most: you, your brand, and your work.
‘Cause right now, you’ve got limited time: you need to be able to answer those ideal client inquiries without reinventing the wheel every day.
You totally understand that a tight client process is something you’ve gotta master as a profitable small business owner. But somedays, it seems like all the good freelancers keep it to themselves — and you’ve clocked (aka wasted) HOURS reading blog posts.
So you’re clicking through someone else’s website trying to figure out their process & heating up your lonely, cold cup of coffee — again: Why is figuring out an inspired, elevated freelancer biz oh-so hard somedays!?
What if it you could sneak a peek over the shoulder of a professional freelancer while she works?
Imagine learning the exact process to be able to send a client just one design — AND have it approved — so there’s no more rolling your eyes when they pick the very one you *knew* they’d pick (after you spent HOURS creating the back-ups).
You’d be able to guide those dreamboat clients through an unforgettable (literally — you wouldn’t be forgetting steps anymore!), rave-worthy experience.
And forget scouring Pinterest for Illustrator shortcuts — you’ve got a ready-set-installed list of Ai hacks at your freelancer fingertips.
I’m Jamie of Spruce Rd., and I took my skills to full-time freelancer 3 years ago — and I haven’t looked back yet.
Now? I want to draw back the curtain on my systems, so you can be the best boss you’ve ever had, too!
The Share-worthy Design Course was created to show you the exact process for how I made freelance life happen.
SWD is an 8-week course that gives you a peek into design short-cuts and client processes, so you can go full-time on those freelance dreams — creating designs that get you shared (and hired!).
During our time together, I’ll guide you through Design Fundamentals, Client On-boarding, Pricing Roadmaps, Streamlined Responses, and Adobe Illustration How-to’s so you can quit dreaming of a more efficient, profitable freelance business… and actually make it HAPPEN.
Are you ready to be confident in a strong design process you can fall back on? Throw those type-loving, creative hands of yours in the air: Let’s get you to freelance freedom, friend!
HERE’S WHAT YOU GET INSIDE SWD
LESSON 1: Business Essentials
What’s that mean for you?
- The scoop on Taxes for your Business, and the strategy we use to reduce stress (and taxes) each year. No finance jargon here! I’m a freelancer just like you, and make it easy to follow along so your eyes don’t glaze over.
- A peek at my exact Bookkeeping Method that organizes your business, and has your accountant giving high fives each quarter.
- How to Protect your Business Legally, so you never feel nervous over sending a client contract again.
- My 360-degree overview of Choosing Between a DBA and an LLC for your business, and how to go about setting up your business legitimately.
Lesson 2: Working with Clients
What’s that mean for you?
- My Getting Clients techniques and cheatsheet, so you don’t make the mistakes that most designers think they have to make to go full-time (hint: you can do it without a blog!)
- One-Logo Client Presentation Guide, giving you an outline for how to prep and deliver one beautiful design to your client, and rest assured knowing it’s exactly what they were looking for.
- What you need to consider to guarantee a stellar experience in Client On-boarding — and the client process mistakes that most designers make.
- My answers to common Client Sticky Situations — never feel “stuck” again on how to respond when a client goes out of scope, doesn’t like your designs, or has less-than-ideal feedback!
- My framework for The Complete Client Process, so you can start turning your inquiries into raving fans that refer you to others because you served them with a fantastic brand journey.
Lesson 3: Pricing
What’s that mean for you?
- The scoop on Hourly Pricing, and the complications that may come up with pricing this way — and how to prevent them.
- A guide to Flat-rate Pricing, so you can decide if this is how you want to go all-in on your freelance business.
- Value-based Pricing 101 — discover exactly what your clients are looking for (and is willing to pay for), so that you never have to waste time and energy snooping on others’ pricing structures again.
- The skinny on Trading Services, to give you the run-down on growing your business alongside other creatives through trading … and why I discourage it for freelance designers.
- Guide to Retainer Clients, so once you’ve nailed some client work, you can trim down your marketing efforts with clients that keep coming back to you.
- How to Raise your Rates with success… actually earning your more clients, and finally pricing at your value.
- My secret to getting Repeat Clients — so you can get your existing clients to come back for your design services over and over again.
- My transparent walk-through of Pricing a Quote for a potential client — actual pricing, research and messages sent to a client… in real time.
LESSON 4: Client Case Study
What’s that mean for you?
- An Actual Client Audio Recording of presenting the first proof of the one logo solution, so you can hear how we pitch our designs to clients. Get ready to swipe our script, to pitch with success in your next presentation.
- A client Brand Discovery proof, giving you a detailed look into how we prep our clients before pitching our winning one logo solution. (and yes — you’ll have our exact ready-made template at your fingertips!)
- The exact Presentation Proof we sent our client — it’s your behind-the-curtain peek into how we often get zero revisions from the first proof!
- Our Response to Client Feedback, so you can direct your client to a winning design (even if their feedback isn’t ideal). Yes, you can tactfully say no and I’ll show you my word-for-word reply, ‘cause I’m a people-pleaser, too!
Lesson 5: Growing your team
What’s that mean for you?
- My step-by-step Process to Hiring + Managing a Team, so you can scale your business with ease. It’s your ticket to working less, while growing your business!
- The Recruiting your A-team Guide, to give you confidence with your first hire… that has you jumping for joy each proof they send your way! Yes, please :).
- The scoop on Taxes + Legal for your new business model, so once you’ve hired your first all-star, you can rest assured knowing Uncle Sam is a-ok with your biz.
- The framework for Structuring your Team — the exact method I use in my own business to guarantee happy designers and clients that keep coming back for more… because we’ve got a team model nailed to a T.
Lesson 6: Design tutorials
What does that mean for you?
- Logo Design, my step-by-step way to discover exactly what clients want (and guide them through a branding process they’re happy to pay for).
- My exact 6-step Design Process, the very gameplan I use in my own business to guarantee each client gets an elevated experience … and that my team’s not crying into our coffee mugs in stress-mode, because we’ve got a project management system that works.
- A Step-by-Step Logo Case Study, so you can see how I take a messy Illustrator artboard full of concepts, narrow it to one, finalize the logo in Illustrator, and save the files appropriately for the client -- it’s your behind-the-curtain ticket to my design process!
- How to Illustrate Icons in Adobe, so you can peek over my shoulder and watch the step-by-step, nitty-gritty way I build out icons, and add them to your own design packages (plus, learn Ai short-cuts you didn’t know existed!).
- The Pattern Design walkthrough, giving you a detailed action plan for always creating custom, gorgeous patterns for your clients in Adobe Illustrator … plus the how and why of working beyond the built-in Illustrator pattern tool, so you’re given FULL control over the pattern (um, yes please!).
The Resource Library
Never waste time pulling together client process templates. Just swipe our personal templates and you’re all set for a professional experience!
- Automated Client Timeline Template: One click, and you’re set for creating a project timeline in seconds.
- Our winning Proposal Template: Frame your studio in its best light, and book those high-end clients (yes, please!)
- Client Questionnaire: Swipe our exact client questionnaire, so you can ask the critical questions to create a successful design.
- Discovery Template: Look into the exact research our team digs for. It’s your guide for rave-worthy design that has your client jumping for joy!
- Brand Presentation and Brand Guideline: Showcase your design proofs in a proven successful presentation. It’s our secret sauce, and it’s yours for the taking!
- Best Resources Guide: A complete guide to the resources that run my business — from apps, project management, design tools and services. It’s your one stop shop… I’ve done the research for you ;).
Freelance marketing training
When you’re ready to book more clients, you’ll need a marketing plan.
This training reveals 4 freelance designer’s marketing strategies that consistently book clients, and have them coming back for more.
It’s your ticket to a deep inside look into how freelancers book clients, from the designers you already know, respect and look up to!
1-logo solution case studies
Presenting one logo to clients is our winning strategy that results in minimal (if any) revisions 95% of the time. It can be your strategy too, once you follow our framework!
Not only will you have an all access pass to Spruce Rd. client presentation calls and the entire process, you’ll also hear from 3 Share-worthy Design alumni who’ve tested and found success in the one logo solution strategy. It’s your reassurance that once you follow the framework, you’ll achieve success too. They’ll answer your questions about how it really went down when they switched to this new presentation style.
Running a freelance design business involves more than pretty designs. You're in charge of organizing + running your biz — from keeping track of projects, following up with clients, and making sure nothing slips through the cracks!
The freelance organizer is built on the premise to keep your business organized and easy to manage. You'll find tools to keep track of all your projects at a glance, plan your marketing for the year, brainstorm packaged services and keep track of important client notes. Download the PDFs, print and place in your fav. 3-ring binder for easy access!
Consultation with JamieOnce you sign-up for the course, you’ll have direct email access to me for any questions you’ve got for 6 months after your purchase.
- Need help on creating your services packages? Ask me.
- Need another eye on your website? I’m here for ya!
- Need support before you move forward with the one logo solution? I’m by your side.
I’ll personally help and coach you. This type of access has always been reserved for my coaching consult calls, but not anymore! As a SWD student, you’ll have access to me.
YOU’LL ALSO GET INSTANT ACCESS TO:
- 100 pages of actionable insight in your course workbook
- 46 video training modules
- Access to our private Slack group with the mastermind course level, to make sure you’re supported every step of the way
- Weekly office hours with the mastermind course level
- A friend in the freelance biz… we’re friends now, right?!
"Share-worthy Design was literally the single best investment I've made for my business so far... and probably always will be. In ten years, I will look back and say, 'that was the turning point to making this work.'"
How does SWD work?
As soon as you enroll, get that oh-so-pretty notebook ready to learn: the course isn’t on drip, so you have instant access to binge on some design and freelance lessons!
Work through your homework and lessons in your 100-page workbook, and then swipe our red-carpet client process… we’ll get you set up for shop in no time.
Fast forward 8 weeks, and you’re set: up-level your freelance design business with a tailored client process, freelance templates ready to go, and clear positioning on how to serve your ideal clients best.
So, what's the investment?
Sure, you could figure out all these shortcuts, processes, and hacks on your own, between Pinterest scrolls, hours of podcasts, and blogs galore.
Or, you could take a short-cut:
Swipe the system we put together after 10 years in the freelance design industry, and gain a mastermind of fellow freelancers to boot.
Your investment for Share-worthy Design is:
3-month payment plan
3 payments of:
46 video modules
100 page class workbook
Private Slack Group
Weekly office hours
Plus, you have my word: Enroll in SWD risk-free, knowing that if you’re not happy, I’m not happy. If after 10 days, you’ve done the work and haven’t seen results, I’m happy to buy the course back from you!
ENROLLMENT ENDS 10:00PM EST FEBRURARY 12
Join in before the clock runs out!
Enrollment won't open again until late 2018.
"Prior to taking SWD, I didn't have my process outlined. Although I was super organized, I was recreating every step. Now there's templates, processes and swipe files to speed up the process. The one-logo concept is my absolute favorite take-away from the course. I've implemented it and have never looked back! This course is AMAZING! "
How to know
you’re a perfect fit for Share-worthy Design:
- You’ve been at the freelance game for a hot second (hey, coffee shop designing on weekends counts!), and you just know that by streamlining and tightening your process, you’d be able to play at a higher level and create more freedom (and impact).
- You’ve started your biz (um, does getting business cards count?), but the client process? Ew. You’re SICK of snooping on others’ sites to figure out their branding process: You know you’re up to the challenge of leading clients, just need a coach and some accountability to see you through.
- You adore serving your clients, but feel burnt out from your ineffective, shoot-from-the-hip design systems … with a blueprint that works, you could focus on YOUR strength: actually designing!
- You don’t mind a little hand-holding when it comes to learning the one-logo process, ‘cause you’re so sick of providing so many options -- then seeing them pick the very one you knew they’d pick (Secret? I used to do that, too!).
- You’re ready to roll up your sleeves and figure this professional, full-time freelancer thing once and for all, leaving uninspired design bogged down by admin work in the dust, and getting your biz a little bit closer to serving your clients (AND family) as a true asset.
AND JUST WHO IS SPRUCE RD.?
Hi! I’m Jamie, a type-nerd, grace-loving brand designer, wife, and mama bear to my new little one. Years of design experience and education in graphic design shaped my vision into a completely unique perspective.
I created Spruce Rd. in response to industry conventions that just weren’t working for me, and crafted custom processes that I believed would better meet clients and offer premium value.
10 years, 9 project-based team members, and hundreds of sweet clients later, I’m still head-over-heels for a long afternoon in front of the silver screen creating beautiful designs for our audience.
The best part? It happened with a buttoned-up, tailored process that comes alongside our clients to serve them well.
And now, I want to teach you the exact tricks of the trade I learned as a freelance brand identity designer, so you can grow your own business!
What others have asked before joining SWD?
Do I have to be a brand identity designer?
Nope! This is for anyone who wants to pursue a freelance business in any design realm -- whether on the side of a full-time job, occasional projects as a stay at home mom, or a full time business. This is perfect for brand identity designers, graphic designers, stationers, web designers, illustrators, hand lettering artists and calligraphers. The course walks through how I use freelance principles in my brand identity design business, but you can take these processes and apply them to your own business!
Is this course for beginner or experienced freelancers?
Both! While this course provides a solid foundation + blueprint for beginners who haven't ever freelanced before, it is an equally valuable tool for experienced freelancers. I've had complete newbies as well as designers with 8+ years of freelance experience sing praises about the content of this course. Wherever you are in freelancing, you'll walk away with an efficient process and toolkit for your business.
Jamie, I just don’t think I can spend that right now! Isn’t there a bigger payment plan??
Oh, friend, how I’ve been there: stepping out and trust falling into a business investment is a scary thing! Even years into my business, I get sweaty palms before hiring a coach or partner. But along the way, I’ve learned: when I invest in my business, and pay for a short-cut that lets me focus on what my strengths are, the money always, always comes back. And sure, there’s a TON of content out there these days. Could you learn these tricks on your own? Sure! But speaking from experience, that always zaps hours off my precious design work — which in turn always costs more in the long run. And don’t worry — I’m not a fan of buyer’s remorse: my 100%, 15-day happiness policy is yours for the taking... I want you to love the course!
Do I even have time for this??
Heard! I mean, let’s be real: I’m running around in a ponytail and sneaks as a mama with a small business and team … I get it! If you commit to watching the videos (about 7 hours worth of content) and diving into the homework, I’ll show you exactly what to say in emails, what processes to walk clients through, and tons of tips and tools that will save you HOURS in the long run. I’ll set you up on a plan you can easily replicate.
There’s no way I could actually make money as a freelancer.
Um, hi, that was me — I used to say the same thing back working in graphic design for a company! What I learned though is that being an entrepreneur is actually the most secure business move I could have ever made: working for myself, setting my own terms, setting my own prices... that’s actually been the ticket to creating an income stream that honors my family, and lets me be a new mom, too. It’s possible, friend. I want to show you how!
How long do I get access?
How does lifetime sound? :) Once you're enrolled, you can jump into the video lessons right away — grab that cup of coffee, kick up your feet, and feel free to binge watch! Learn at your own pace and re-watch the lessons as many times as needed. I wanted to make this course available for your best convenience, so there is no set schedule — you’re the boss!
Can I sign up anytime?
To serve my students as best I can, enrollment is only open a few times a year. I'll be offering the course again in the future, but the price goes up each time the course goes back in the vault!
Do you offer refunds?
I have a very, very tight return policy — only because I want to make sure I’m attracting dedicated, serious students. I have worked so hard to make this course a benefit, but I certainly understand the fear in buying something you can’t fully experience before purchase. As such, by purchasing, you’re agreeing to my happiness promise: if you complete the entire course and do all the work within 10 days and aren’t satisfied, just show me your work — I’m happy to buy the course back from you.
Is this course accessible for the deaf + hearing impaired?
Yes! There are captions on the video lessons, and the transcript included (for the non-tutorial lessons) in the course workbook.
I have more questions, how can I get in touch?
I'd love to chat with you, and make sure this is the right fit! Feel free to email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to hearing from you!